Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
-Steven Covey

"When people talk, listen completely.  Most people never listen."
-Ernest Hemingway

"The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives.  To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others."
-Tony Robbins


Theses three quotes have one thing in common:  They are the focus for what I want my intention to be today - be a better listener.

I find myself falling into the trap of not really listening to people when they talk to me.  I think that my generation as a whole has a problem with this.  We are all amped up on multitasking and gadgets that make our lives easier because they don't require us to be as fully engaged.  I don't have to take the time to remember your phone number because it's saved into my cell phone, into my Contacts on my Gmail account, or you can always text it to me later.  I don't have to learn the social graces of listening to someone else when they give directions or specific requirements to a project because it's all written on this email that you sent me just before the meeting.   I rely more on my cell phone that brings in text messages and emails than actual voice-to-voice conversations that require me to be present.  Even as I write this blog now, I have my laptop open to about 5 different tabs containing different websites, the TV is on in the background, and my iPad has my twitter account constantly updating next to me.  And you want a piece of the remaining attention I have left?? What's so important that you have to interrupt my "work?"  Oh, sorry.  I love you too, Honey.

Dear God,

Thank you for another day that You have made.  Please help me to make the most of it.  I ask for you to help make me more present in my life and to put aside all the things that don't matter in order to make the things that do, helping and loving others, stand out and shine.

Amen

Daily Gratitude:
1.  My health - I am on the rebound from the flu
2.  Quiet mornings with coffee and juice
3.  Student emails that tell me they miss me/wish me better
4.  The snow has slowed down in Michigan
5.  My sister who is trying to get all of us together for a vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment