Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday, February 7th

Dear Blog Reader,

Today was a pretty typical day for a Monday on St. Paul Island: the kids were tired, I was a little groggy, and a little more prodding to get work done was required.  What was different was that I could see the light at the end of the tunnel for the current novel we're reading, A Distant Enemy.  It's not that I find myself "caved in" by the novel, it's just that my students find themselves uninterested in the text.  The plot isn't as exciting as a movie, a video game, or even walking around the island and standing in front of the store.  Fair enough.  Fair enough.  Nothing really competes with scamming on AC Store patrons to a newly released student on a school day afternoon, let alone the story of another kid who could be sitting across the table from them.  I suppose I wouldn't be jumping for joy to read a story about another middle class, white girl who attends a boring school where nothing catastrophical happens.  But then again, I was that white yuppy who loved reading just about anything that a teacher put in my hand.  I trusted their opinion of literature because hey, they were the teacher. I suppose wanting a little of that in return isn't such a huge request.  But I digress...

So today was spent making the final decision on what my students would be reading next.  The nail is in the coffin for a few titles, but there are some that are still up in the air.  They are:

8th Graders
High School ELA II
High School ELA I
7th Graders
Possible title for High School ELA I

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment