Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday, February 20, 2011 - Plan Ahead to Reschedule

I was supposed to be in Anchorage for THE technology conference for teachers in Alaska.  I should have been there for two days already.  The one thing that I have come to realize about living in the Alaskan Bush is to never assume that the best laid plans are going to actually workout that way.  You can't.  It's never because of one reason.  I have had my travel plans altered for so many reasons:


  1. No crew to fly the plane
  2. Too much fog
  3. Blizzardy conditions
  4. High Winds
  5. No power on the island = no runway lights
  6. Contaminated fuel
But this is just part of the new lifestyle.  There are a lot of things that we don't have to deal with that were pains in the neck in Michigan:

  1. Traffic jams on 96
  2. Trying to find a parking spot downtown
  3. Waiting in lines - Movies, Restaurants, DMV
  4. CROWDS at the mall
  5. Pantyhose
  6. High Heels 
  7. IRONING
  8. Paying $20 to watch a bad movie in a theater
It is an inconvenience to have to wonder about your travel plans, but the things that have been left behind are definitely worth the uncertainty.  I'm not sure if I'll make it out to our conference, but if I stay, I'll make the most of it and know that there is a reason why I was supposed to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment